Thursday, December 11, 2008

Top Ten Dog Movies of All Time


Because I am not allowed into movie theaters and because most movies sucked this year, I decided to list in my opinion the ten top doggie movies of all time.

10. Beverly Hills Chihuahua: Finally Disney is recognizing that there are more breeds in this world than the Lab or Golden Retriever. We have here a movie on dogs of the third world and all their ridiculous stereotypes. At least it was a money maker for the studio.

9. Bolt: A cute premise for an animated dog film. It's about a Hollywood dog actor that actually believes he is the superhero he portrays on film. In other words, it's Tom Cruise in doggy form.

8. 101 Dalmatians: A Disney Classic which is in true Disney form. While trying to entertain children and their dogs, Disney introduces some dark aspects of humanity, such as Cruella DiVille who wants to skin the puppies for a fur coat. Scary! This is the "Silence of the Lambs" for dogs. I am sure PETA loves this movie!

7. Eight Below: My mom and I cried when we saw this movie. It was about snow dogs who had to be abandoned and fend for themselves in the Artic as their owner tried his best to go back and rescue them. Big claws up!

6. The Adventures of Otis and Milo: Although the pug in this movie (Otis) shares the screen with a tabby cat (Milo) as they lose their way in nature and help each other along, it shows how all creatures have the capacity to live in peace and harmony on this earth (hey, it's the holidays, i'm feeling a bit sentimental!).

5. White Fang: Probably the most complex of all dog movies (and book for that matter), White Fang is adapted from the Jack London novel that my mom says all men loved as a kid and is one of the reasons men love to call their sons "Jack". I like it because it is like the Powder Puffington Post as it gives it's views through the world of the dog and shows how a wild animal eventually becomes civilized in the Yukon Territory of Canada.

4. Cujo: Need I say more! This doesn't show us dogs in a good light, but it really wasn't Cujo's fault that he became rabid. Anyway even without the rabidness I would be terrified of Cujo as he fits my scary dog profile: big and hairy!

3. Lady and the Tramp: This is one of my mommy's and Aunty Lillian's favorite movies as they use to sing the songs when they were little girls. I like it because Q-Ball and I had fun recreating the spaghetti scene. But let's not forget the real message of this movie; dogs with pedigree papers can reproduce with mutts! I wouldn't know that, I was snipped at an early age :(

2. Lassie: Although an American classic, the original Lassie is about a collie separated by his poor English family in the Great Depression and sold to a wealthy nobleman in Scotland (hence the name "Lassie"). Lassie runs away and tries his best to find his way back to his owners (as I would too do if I was sold). It's a tear jerker!

1. Old Yeller: I always get red stains on my white Maltese hair after watching this movie! Yes, it's another attempt of Disney manipulating my sentimental heart but it works! It's basically about the strong bonds that are created when humans and dogs love each other and how loyal we become to one another.

Well, that's my list, you can agree with me or not. Some honorable mentions are:
Best in Show: More about dog owners and how much they love their dogs (however the dogs steal the show).
Marley and Me: Haven't seen it yet but it looks cute, hey you can't go wrong with a White Lab.
The Year of the Dog: Mom and me thought this was a comedy but it was a sad tale of the lost of a dog and the void it can leave in your life.
Chief: Now this is a screenplay by Uncle Adrian that hasn't been made into a movie yet (but it was optioned). It's a wonderful combination of two true dog stories. Although the main character is a mutt, I am hoping when the movie is made to be casted in the lead role with a little help from nepotism and the makeup department. I'm ready for my close up Mr. Spielberg!

Chow for now!

No comments: