Monday, December 22, 2008

The Economy and the Sad Trickle Down Affects


I lead a pretty insular life. I have a roof over my head, food in my tummy, a mommy who loves me and takes care of me and provides lots of cuddles, tummy-rubbings and weird outfits. So really it's only when I surf the web and read the articles on the bad economy and how it affects our society, I start to thank the universe that I am a very lucky dog.

Animal shelters have been reporting that they are at full capacity and even turning away animals who are being returned because people can no longer afford to feed and keep them. This isn't about people who buy or adopt pets on a whim, this is about people who have had their beloved pets for years! This is scary as half of those animals will not be adopted and will have to be euthanized. That is very sad! My mother assures me that I am with her for the rest of my life and I will eat before she eats as I am her pet child, so I can only imagine how hard it is for people to give up the pets they love and have taken care of for years. My grandma says that these are people with kids or the elderly as when your pet is your only real companion people do their best to keep their pets. She is a social worker and she sees many homeless people with pets who take care of them and do not get rid of them even though their financial circumstances are dire.

So if you think you have room in your home and heart to adopt a pet this holiday or the coming new year, please do! The love you will get back will be more than worth it. I know times are hard, but if are not destitute, have the time please adopt. I will also gladly give up all the gifts I asked for and ask that you donate to the Humane Society or ASPCA. You can donate at their websites:

www.aspca.org
www.hsus.org

My mommy is feeling better today thanks to my nursing her back to health (and her not going out for once) so hopefully we will start having longer walks (although it is freezing here today in New York City). Well, Mom and I are going to figure out how to decorate the house for our Christmas brunch later this week so I have leave now. I hope everyone is done with their Christmas shopping, there are lots of sales out there. For those of you who have left for the holidays are about to leave for skiing or a warmer climate, I am sooo envious! However Christmas in New York is quite special so we can't complain. Chow for now!

No comments: