Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Watch out Mom! You may be going to jail!





Yesterday's post was about doggie winter fashions, however today's post is about "over" dressing your pet. In England, the RSPCA (the equivalent of our ASPCA) is threatening legal action against dog owners who over dress their dogs. Officials claim that putting on items such as boots, all-in-one trousers and hoodies, could be harmful to dogs and lead to prosecution for owners if they feel an animal's welfare is at risk.

Now I am a little torn about this as I know my mother loves to dress me up. To be fair to her, she only dresses me up during the winter in coats and sweaters so I don't get cold. She also dresses me up on Halloween, Talk like a Pirate Day (Sept 17th) and Christmas. Granted when she puts costumes on me I really don't know what to do with myself and I end up feeling quite frozen and stiff. My last Halloween costume I was dressed as "Jack Sparrow" from Pirates of the Caribbean. The outfit was very elaborate and it even had a pirate's hat that came with dread locks and beads. I must admit I did look quite spiffy and swashbuckling for a dog and I did bring a lot of joy to every one who befriended me that day. My mom knows that when she over dresses me that I lose some of my spirit so she does keep it at a minimum.

When it comes to warm weather I am always naked, just my harness and collar are my wardrobe. However there are some people that over accessorize their dogs EVERYDAY! They have their dogs in hats, tiara's, costumes, matching outfits, booties everyday. In England, Dorset RSPCA spokeswoman Jo Barr said: 'Dog owners should be aware that under the Animal Welfare Act that came into force in April 2007 they have a duty of care to ensure that all of their pets' needs are met. They want to discourage restrictive clothing and people treating their pets like accessories. I am all for that but I would hope it can be done with social awareness and no one has to be prosecuted because for many people their dogs are their children and that is why they tend to anthromorphized their pets (the attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to nonhuman organisms or inanimate objects).

People who treat their dogs like handbags or extensions of their outfits are what get my dog temper up. I feel sorry when I walk down the street with my mother and I see these dogs because they look really miserable and uncomfortable. Hopefully if my mother starts veering in that direction, our family and friends would put her in her place and give her a reality check. But for now I am happy with my snazzy outfits so I say, "Keep it coming"! Chow for now!

No comments: