Saturday, January 3, 2009

Canine Service



It being a new year and also a year we Americans get a new president who has inspired the world I thought we can use the PPP to give you some ideas of ways you can serve the world through either donations or your time. My MeMa is a social worker and she always says nothing gets your mind off your problems better than helping other people with problems (and you will find out nine out of ten times their problems are worse than yours). MeMa says it makes you grateful for your life and puts things in perspective.

I myself have wanted to be a dog of service. Apparently in the few ways I can serve I seem to hit the requirements a bit short.

Maltese apparently are not the best breed for bomb and mine field dogs. Truthfully I am not the most macho dog so I am okay with this.

I am too short to be a seeing-eye dog.

I can go to old age homes to provide cuddles for the elderly but if there is another dog around I tend to lose it and they seem to think I can cause the elderly to go into cardiac arrest so I have been rejected from that service. Q-Ball would have been great for that.

So my service is to be my cute little self and let people fawn all over me and take my picture when they want to. I seem to be quite popular (especially with the kiddies and Japanese women) so if spreading happiness, joy and sunshine is my way of giving back, I'm okay with that. However I think with the PPP I can help others with service and inspiring them to volunteer or donate time. This way I can sort of give service vicariously through others.

So today I am going to start with some charities that are in danger of closing down for good because they were victims of Bernard Madoff. These foundations unfortunately had a majority of their funds lost in Madoff's Ponzi scheme and need donations ASAP. It wasn't only wealthy folks and Kevin Bacon that got swindled. The PPP would like your help for the following organizations:

The Brennan Center for Justice
is a nonpartisan institute that focuses on fundamental issues of democracy and justice. Their work ranges from voting rights to redistricting reform to checking presidential power in the fight against terrorism. www.brennancenter.org

Human Rights Watch
is one of the world's leading independent organizations dedicated to defending and protecting human rights. By focusing international attention where human rights are violated, they give voice to the oppressed and hold oppressors accountable for their crimes. Its rigorous, objective investigations and strategic, targeted advocacy build intense pressure for action and raise the cost of human rights abuse. www.hrw.org

Advancement Project
is a policy, communications and legal action group committed to racial justice founded by a team of veteran civil rights lawyers in 1998. They have pursued critical litigation to protect voters and also support grassroots movements for universal opportunity and just democracy in the areas of education and immigrants' rights. www.advancementproject.org

The Center for Constitutional Rights
is dedicated to advancing and protecting the rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Founded in 1966 by attorneys who represented civil rights movements in the South, CCR is a nonprofit legal and educational organization committed to the creative use of law as a positive force for social change. http://ccrjustice.org

So as you see in today's post the majority of our recommendations are mostly based on human rights and not animal rights. Keep on reading the PPP and I will keep on recommending charities, foundations and organizations for all different types of causes. These are in danger of folding so I wanted to make sure to give them some priority. Well I don't know about you, but here at the PPP we feel happy to get our message out to the public and the universe. Time for my nap, Chow for now!

No comments: