Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Puppy Prozac Nation!





Now I come from a family that believes in not abusing medication. We would rather see a cold through without antibiotics (unless we start hallucinating) or we would rather meditate than use antidepressants. Don't get me wrong, when we have to use medication we do but in the end we Rivera's have a very holistic approach to medication.

In America you always hear how children are over medicated, especially hyper children. Now I am hearing about pets getting placed on anti-depressants due to their mental problems. Funny thing is that I read an article the other day on the web on up and coming careers that will not be affected by the current economy and "pet therapist" was on the list! So maybe it makes sense that we are becoming a puppy prozac nation.

Now I know a few people who wouldn't mind me on a mild tranquilizer when I go out for my walks and encounter a large, hairy dog. I do seem to lose my mind a bit and go all "Vietnam flashback". However I am getting better. My mom is learning how to control me more and more (thanks Cesar Milan!) and I am actually okay when I am off the leash. When a pet enters your home they tend to react to your energy or the situations that come up in your life (death, illness, moving, separation, abandonment). Sometimes a perfectly normal pet can start acting differently and strangely (just like you humans). And just like humans, vets have been finding that placing pets on antidepressants such as sertraline which induces "happiness" hormones in the brain have worked successfully on animals. These medications after a few months help the animals start to behave like their former selves and the good news is that the animals don't have to be on medications for the rest of their lives. Most don't have to continue the medication for more than a year.

Pet owners have raved how their pets have returned to their lovable, confident, friendly selves and their anxiety and fears have dissipated. Now I have never suffered from depression (some anxiety yes) so I can only tell you what I hear from others who have gone through these issues and have used medication to solve their problems. I myself need a just a few good hugs, the love of my family and friends, a long walk, a rub on my tummy and a meaty bone and I am calm and happy. I am not going to judge, I am just happy that there are multiple ways to help a puppy feel happier and that their owners love them enough to seek help.

Chow for now!

No comments: