Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I wish this was my problem...






There is one problem I can honestly say I do not have in my life and that is that I am definitely not overfed. My mom is very strict on my two containers of Cesar's Dog Food and a few measly treats I get every day. So when I see a story like this I start drooling.

Meet Patch. Patch is obese. Patch is actually extremely obese for he is so fat he cannot even walk. Patch has to be transported around in a harness. Patch was brought to a shelter after his owner passed away. Patch is 62 pounds which is twice the weight he should be. You could say Patch would make the ideal dog for more than half of the Americans who are now officially considered obese. Because of his weight Patch is now considered high risk for all sorts of diseases and organ failure. As the shelter now works with getting Patch's weight down they now have to be careful because if he loses weight too quickly he is in jeopardy of going into organ failure.

Now I think Patch's previous owner probably thought Patch's weight was cute and being overly fed was really their way of saying he is overly loved. However just like humans, we dogs (actually all pets) need the care that all beings deserve. We need a good balanced diet, plenty of daily exercise, checkups and good hygiene. It really is unfair to not provide these necessities to your pet.

So maybe as much as I would love to overeat, my mommy is right in providing me with just the right amount of food and daily exercise, love and B-A-T-H-S (yeah she thinks I don't know what she is saying when she spells those letters out to me). I love to run fast and I would never want to be carried around in a harness so thanks Mom!

Today on the PPP we are very sad to announce the death of Ricardo Montalban. My mommy is very sad upon hearing of his death as when she was a little girl every Saturday night she would watch "The Love Boat" and then "Fantasy Island". So she is sad to hear that Mr. Rourke is now in the "Fantasy Island" in the sky. I myself just love saying the name "Ricardo" with a Spanish accent. "Hello, my name is Ricardo Powder Puff de la Rivera". Umm, on second thought I sound like a chihuahua.

My last news today is that a few days ago my mom and I saw an article about "the best job in the world". Australia is offering one person to live on an island on the outer reef for six months to take care of the island and write a blog and perform other minor chores. Mom and I thought we should apply for this job as it is perfect for the PPP. Between my mom's scuba skills and my writing blog skills, we should be a shoe-in. However just about every news agency, blog, Internet site has picked up this story so there must be millions of people now applying for this job. However we will still apply as I can just visualize myself running on the beach next to my mom and describing my adventures to all. So wish me luck and any tips on making my application unique and strong I will appreciate greatly. Well, mom and me are out of food, it's just like the nursery rhyme, we have empty cupboards, so we are going to do some food shopping on this cold, winter, snowy day and dream of warm Australian waters. Chow for now!

No comments: