Monday, January 26, 2009

Looking for Mr. Dog Bar




I am a really lucky pup in that for now my mom works from home and I get to hang with her in the daytime as I really miss her when she works in an office. However as she so likes to remind me on a daily basis, she deserves a social life to make her happy and you know when momma's happy everyone is happy (rolling my eyes as I write this).

Well, thanks to one of our PPP readers we found out places in New York City that welcome dogs in bars. So now when my mom says, "Gotta go PP and meet my friends for drinks!" I am going to remind her of this post as she really has no excuse to leave me home alone if she is going drinking. Here are some of our favorite "dog friendly bars in the city":

- SoHo Grand Hotel: 310 West Broadway, The Grand Bar and Lounge. Lush houndstooth sofas, inviting leather chairs, this room looks straight out of Clue. No only are dogs welcomed here, they are treated like celebrities as management gives them top priority. This is a little far from the Upper East Side but we get downtown I am going to insist on visiting the bar here at the Soho Grand. It shouldn't be too hard as my mom loves the Tartini's there. The little tart!

- Tribeca Grand Hotel: 2 Sixth Ave (between Walker and White Street), is the sister hotel to the Soho Grand so it's no surprise that they too give doggies the five-star treatment. Hartz Mountain Industries, the pet product company actually owns the two hotels (I did not know that) so that explains their kindness to pets. I have actually been to this hotel when we lived in Tribeca (those were the days). I love how it looks like a cross between a Chinese Bordello and Bladerunner.

- Tom and Jerry's Bar: 288 Elizabeth Street (corner of Houston), this was actually one of my old drinking haunts as my Uncle Adrian would take both Q-Ball and I drinking with him on his boys night out. This is were I had my first taste of dark ale (licking my chops as I write this). Q-ball and I were both quite popular here. Mental note, must visit again when we move back downtown.

- d.b.a.: 41 First Avenue (between 2nd and 3rd Street), my mom likes going to this bar because it is almost a beer garden. Anyway she can get her German beer here and now that she knows dogs are welcomed I am sure we will stop by (even though the average age here is 25 years old). dba also has a sister restaurant on 113 North 7th Street on Williamsburg.

- Fetch: 1649 3rd Ave. (Between 92nd and 93rd Street). There aren’t many places where you can order a beer and a dog, but at Fetch, it’s possible. This doggie-devoted bar keeps ASPCA and Stray from the Heart adoption applications on hand for patrons who double as pup rescuers. Framed pooch pics cover the walls, and the staff swears they’ll find a place for your dog’s photo if you bring one in. Happy hour specials include $3 draft beers and house wine, and Fetch’s traditional pub grub has a sophisticated flair. This cozy, laid-back bar attracts young and old dog-lovers alike, so bring family, friends, girlfriends, or boyfriends—but not Fido. Pets aren’t allowed inside. Irony is a bitch.

This makes me wish for Spring to come quickly as so many restaurants who serve outside let dogs partake of the restaurant but I will take what I can for now. So if you are planning to ask my mom out for a drink I suggest you entertain going to the places above so I can come along and your evening will be that much better as I attract the babes. I am the wingdog! Chow for now!

No comments: