Friday, February 13, 2009

Gossip Friday - February 13th 2009


TGIGF!! Whoa this has been a long week for this pup and I am looking forward to relaxing even more than I usually do this weekend. I have been a very sociable dog around town which makes me a good doggie gossip columnist as I can hear all the juicy tidbits my mommy talks about with her friends.

This week I have only one tidbit of celebrity gossip from the UK newspaper Telegraph. Receiving the Golden Globe for best actor, former hell raiser Mickey Rourke knew exactly who to thank for his recovery after years in the emotional and professional wilderness. "Sometimes," said the star of The Wrestler, and odds-on favourite for next week's best actor Oscar, "when a man's alone, all you got is your dog. This is for my dogs, past and present. They mean the world to me." Certainly, a man who can declare his love for a chihuahua, the armpit accessory of the Paris Hilton set, is a man with nothing to prove. But his firm belief that his pets' companionship had literally saved his life reflects a basic truth: that dogs might just be the world's best therapists.

Hollywood certainly seems to have caught on to this idea. This week alone sees two new canine capers: Bolt, a smart, computer-animated Disney film about a dog that thinks it's a superhero, and Hotel for Dogs, in which two orphans set about saving a city's strays. This past Holiday season we saw Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson appearing in the tear-jerking Marley & Me, an adaptation of the best-selling book that tells the story of the titular Labrador, aka "the world's worst dog".

Of course, dogs don't live as long as people, so it's inevitable that you'll witness the change from sprightly, sausage-stealing puppy to stiff-legged, grey-haired veteran. Walks get slower, sleeps get longer – but every time you look his way, his eyes are full of trust and belief that you will do what's right, when the time comes.

Dog-lovers understand. They would never say, "Are you going to get another one?", knowing that you need time to grieve. When his chihuahua Beau Jack died in 2002, says Rourke, "I gave him mouth-to-mouth for 45 minutes before they peeled me off. I didn't go home for two weeks." But, the actor continued, it's worth all the pain. "I truly believe God created dogs for a cause. They are the greatest companions a man could ever have."

And one day I hope for my mom to add more dogs to our households to make both our lives that much greater. Chow for now!

No comments: