Thursday, February 19, 2009

Art Gallery Review - February

Wow! What a day! It started out with a delicious pork chop mom gave to me from her doggie bag from her dinner last night with Uncle Michael and Uncle Saad as they were nice enough to treat the Pisces in their life (Grace and mom) to a great dinner at Cafe Loup.

Then mom decided it was time to hit the galleries for a PPP art review. We met up with mom's friend Mimi Wheeler who has seen the art world evolved since the days of the East Village art scene for some pointers on what galleries to hit.

Unfortunately: 1) many of the galleries we wanted to hit were closed for installation and 2) my mom's G$# D&%@ camera (her words not mine) depleted it's batteries so our plan of her taking cute pictures of me all throughout Chelsea and pointing out my favorite art was curtailed.

So I will "borrow" some images from the internet to show you some of the shows we went to today and rate them from 1 bone (not too good) to 5 bones (very good).



First was Mary Heilman showing at 303 Gallery (547 West 21st Street). I liked this show because it was colorful and it had lawn furniture. My mom was lukewarm about it as she felt it was nothing new for Heilman. Mimi did not like it at all. I give it 3 BONES



Second was Paul Morrison showing at Cheim & Reid Gallery (547 West 25th Street). I like this show because my mommy carried me throughout the gallery and people were showering me with lots of attention. Honestly I can only recall that the work was mainly black and white. Mom liked it but thought it too decorative and Mimi again was not impressed. 3 BONES UP



Third show was James Nares at Paul Kasmin Gallery. My mom likes this gallery a lot as Paul seems to show really great painters. I like this show as the paintings were very soothing to me and there was a video in the back that mesmerized me. Mom liked the show and video very much and even Mimi liked it too as we were all trying to figure out his MO of painting. Here is the link to his video: http://www.paulkasmingallery.com/exhibitions/2009-01-15_james-nares/video/ 5 BONES UP



My last recommendation is the gallery of a new friend of ours. I didn't see this show but my mom did and she recommends going to see Tony Matelli at Leo Koenig Inc (545 West 23rd Street). It is an installation about the sign of the times. 4 BONES

In March there will be the New York Armory Show and I will definitely cover that for the PPP (I will carry a fresh supply of batteries on me, I promise). Well, it is the end of a long day for me and I am going to take a nap as all this culture makes me sleepy. Chow for now!

No comments: