Monday, May 11, 2009

Ouch! That's Gotta Hurt!



I have been guilty of swallowing many things whilst on my daily walks on the streets especially in this dirty city. There have been many times when my mother had to reach down my throat to pull out a chicken bone, a semi chewed up hot dog, a chewed up mouse, a decaying dead bird. She wonders how I can be so finicky about food at home and yet manage to stuff anything I find on the street that was once living in my mouth. She is even considering carrying around a rubber glove on our walks so she doesn't have to touch the foul things I gobble up on our walks. Most of all she seems to be embarrassed as it makes it look to strangers that she never feeds me.

However bad I am at least I am not Alfie, a Cocker Spaniel who swallowed his toy puppy. The Daily Mail reports, "Owners Joanne Dutton and daughter Madeline, seven, were amazed when the vet's X-ray revealed the cause of the dog's illness."

Joanne, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, in the UK said: 'He was refusing to eat or drink and then became very ill.

'He just looked so sad, which is not like him, so we took him to the vet.


Gee, that girl already needs her teeth to be whitened! Typical bloody English!!

He felt his tummy and immediately discovered something there - and it turned out to be Madeline's toy puppy.

'He'd sneaked into her bedroom and swiped it from the dolls' house.'

Vet Mark Allington said: 'We took an X-ray of Alfie and it was fairly obvious what he had swallowed and it was removed after a couple of hours' surgery.'

Joanne said: 'Alfie is back to normal again now - running around like a lunatic.'

Why would you eat something that doesn't have flavor? Plastic taste like plastic, a rotten bird carcass can taste like Fillet Mignon if you really put your mind to it.

My Aunt Lillian once had a Dalmatian that ate everything in sight too. She would make daily trips to the vet to only be shown an x-ray of her dog with a rubber glove or a water spray nozzle in his tummy. She thinks she spent five thousand one year on surgery for the vet to remove these objects. Needless to say he was given away.

Then there is Q-Ball. Q-Ball didn't eat dead birds or inanimate objects but she did eat her poop from time to time. And boy did she know she was not supposed to eat it. My mom could always tell when she ate her poop because she would have the naughtiest look on her face. My mom would scream, "Let me smell your breath!" and Q-Ball would crawl to her with her tail between her legs as she knew it was so wrong yet I guess for Q-Ball it tasted so right.

Eventually Q-Ball did this less and less as it disgusted even me. My mom tried all remedies and all suggestions but in the end Q-Ball realized that it wasn't worth the spiral of shame mom would put her through after one of her incidences.

What can I say? That's life with a dog!

Chow for now!

No comments: