Friday, June 19, 2009

Scientific Proof!


What I and millions of dogs have known over the years have finally been proven by the scientific community, dogs ARE smarter than cats!

The thought processes of 15 cats were tested by attaching food to the end of lengths of string and observing whether they could figure out that pulling the line brought the treats closer.

The cats had no problem with tackling single pieces of string. However, when faced with two options, experts discovered that unlike their canine counterparts, cats were unable to consistently pick a baited string over a dummy.

Psychology lecturer Britta Osthaus, who conducted the study, said the findings shatter the myth that cats are smarter than dogs. "This finding is somehow surprising as cats regularly use their paws and claws to pull things towards them during play and hunting. She added that the results show that cats do not understand cause-and-effect connections between objects.

The experiments involved attaching fish and biscuit treats to one end of a piece of string, placing them under a plastic screen to make them unreachable.
They were tested in three ways, using a single baited string, two parallel strings where only one was baited, and two crossed strings where only one was baited.
With two crossed strings, one cat always made the wrong choice and others succeeded no more than might be expected by chance.

Mrs Osthaus added: "If we know their limits we won't expect too much of them, which in turn is important for their welfare.

"I am not trying to say cats are stupid, just they are different. We are so anthropomorphic we can't see the world through their eyes."

Well to be honest with you I never really met a cat up front before so I can't tell you from experience but I do know from watching cartoons with my mommy that dogs are always portrayed as the dumb oafs and cats are the smart manipulated creatures. I am glad to have this study so next time some snug cat owner tries to belittle my brilliance I will go to this post to rub it in their face the same way my face was rubbed into my urine when I had an accident as a puppy.

Well, off to sniff other dogs bums! Chow for now!

No comments: