Friday, June 5, 2009

Hansard Possum


No this is not a post about making possum stew. This is a post about a very "special" type of possum who has gained some notoriety in Hansard, Australia. So much so that he is now referred to as the "Hansard Possum".

He's been wreaking havoc at Parliament House in Australia. HP has been breaking in, stealing food belonging to staff members and pooing on the floor (umm, sounds like Judge). He usually takes a siesta in the Hansard Department which is how he got his name.

They have caught and evicted him several times, but the crafty possy keeps coming back! So they decided to build a little house for him in the back on a fig tree. They give him bananas every day. For some reason, there's a law that states he can't be moved to the bush. It's estimated that it has cost taxpayers around $2585 to keep HP in check. The building manager said, "We are not going to evict him and leave him, we are trying to look after him. He has a possum house, we keep it topped up with fruit. He loves bananas."

Well I am not surprised that a country that was colonized by prisoners would be so forgiving to this animal that has committed multiple misdemeanors and actually reward it with a home and food. That would never happen here (I guess except for me??).

I don't know, once the weather starts getting cold I have a feeling that the HP will start finding his way inside the building again and start "gifting" everyone. He has tasted human comfort and that he will not forget or give up. I should know, I have my mother sleeping on 1/4 of her bed as I have claimed most of her home and Judge has pooped on the remainder of it.

Well hopefully the weather is better this weekend as I had cabin fever today and it would be nice to be outside in the sunshine again.

Here's wishing you a great weekend! Chow for now!

No comments: